Frequently Asked Questions
When and where does practice start?
Usually the first Monday in August at Harmony Park located at 230 W. Harmony Road in West Grove. Practices normally run from 6PM until 8PM.
When will the game season begin?
The game season officially begins on Labor Day weekend with our first game.
How long does the season run?
This will vary depending on the team your child participates on, however most seasons run from August 1st until the second or third weekend in November.
Will there be any scrimmages before the season begins?
Yes, we usually will have 2 scrimmages - one during a regular practice during the week and one on a weekend before the season begins.
When is practice?
Until school starts, practices are mainly 5 nights a week from 6:00-8:00PM.
Once school begins the practices will reduce to 3 nights a week from 6:00-8:00PM.
What if we are away on vacation, can my child miss practice in August?
It is expected that all players are at all practices.
How many home games will we have?
We currently have 4 scheduled weekends of home games (subject to change).
Where are our home games played?
Harmony Park - West Grove
AUGUST (5) nights a week at the Harmony Park/Memorial Park
SEP-OCT-NOV (3) nights a week at the Harmony Park/Memorial Park
AUGUST (3) nights a week at Harmony Park
SEP-OCT-NOV Per week (2) practice nights
AUGUST (4) nights a week at Harmony Park (Mon-Thu)
SEP - NOV Indoors (3-4) nights a week at a local school gym
AUGUST Outdoors (3) nights a week at Harmony Park
SEP - OCT Indoors (2) nights a week at a local school gym
What are the age and weight limits?
Eighty (80) lb. team (ages 7 & 8)
A player may not weigh more than 82 lbs.
- Players may not turn 9 years of age Prior to August 1st of the calendar year of the football season to be eligible to play on the 80-lb. team.
- The “older/lighter” rules allow a league age 9-year-old to retain a third year of eligibility providing they do not exceed the 64 lbs. restriction and meet the age restrictions.
- Players must be 9 years old by August 1st and Cannot turn 10 until after November 30th of the playing year.
- The minimum age for the 80-lb. team is 7, which must be reached by August 1st of the playing year.
- At the request of a parent and in agreement with the member club, a 6-year-old flag player weighing more than 70 lbs. at the time of photo id’s can for the year move up to the 80 Junior Varsity or the 80 lb. Varsity (If there is no 80 lb. Junior Varsity available).
One Hundred and Five (105) lb. team (ages 9 & 10)
A player may not weigh more than 107 lbs.
- Players may not turn 11 years of age Prior to August 1st of the calendar year of the football season to be eligible to play on the 105-lb. team.
- The “older/lighter” rules allow a league age 11-year-old to retain a third year of eligibility providing they do not exceed the 85 lbs. restriction and meet the age restrictions.
- Players must be 11 years old by August 1st and Cannot turn 12 until after November 30th of the playing year.
- The minimum age the 105-lb. team is 8. Age must be reached prior to August 1st of the playing year.
One Hundred and Thirty (130) lb. team (ages 11, 12 & 13)
A player may not weigh more than 130 lbs.
- Players may not turn 14 years of age prior to August 1st of the calendar year of the football season to be eligible to play for the 130-lb. team.
- The minimum age for the 130-lb. team is 9. Age must be reached Prior to August 1st of the playing year.
- NO HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS ARE ELIGIBLE.
- NO 9TH GRADERS ARE ELIGIBLE
4.2. Weight allowances (In Season)
1) Starting week 2, 1 lb. will be given to all players EXCEPT older/lighters.
2) Older/Lighters will be given a 2-lb. weight increase week 4 and on week 8.
Flag Cheer Squad- 5 & 6 year olds
80’s (80lb.) Cheer Squad- 7 & 8 year olds
105’s (105lb.) Cheer Squad- 9 & 10 year olds
130’s (130lb.) Cheer Squad- 11 & 12 year olds
What is the difference between varsity and junior varsity?
Varsity teams are teams that compete for a league championship.
JV teams are instructional teams with no undue emphasis on winning.
Is AGW a traveling organization?
Yes, most of our schedule will be made up of teams in Chester County. Some games will be played in Delaware County.
What does my football player need to buy for 1st day of practice?
We will provide your child with a helmet and shoulder pads. You will need to provide a mouthpiece, cleats, socks, athletic supporter, girdle, pants and a practice jersey.
What does my cheerleader need to buy for 1st day of practice?
A cheerleader needs a white t-shirt, maroon or gold cotton shorts, and sneakers, hair in ponytail, water bottle and physical.
When will my child receive their uniform?
Helmets and shoulder pads will be distributed during a week at the end of July or beginning of August. Game pants and game jerseys will be distributed after the teams are divided into Varsity and JV.
Before my child can practice is a full medical clearance required?
A child will not be able to participate in contact or stunting drills until a medical clearance release is obtained from a physician.
Do flag football players and cheerleaders get uniforms like the bigger kids?
Flag football players will be issued game jerseys.
Flag cheerleaders will be issued regular cheerleading uniforms.
If you have a question that wasn’t answered above.
If you are interested in coaching, assistant coaching and/or getting involved with the Avon Grove Wildcats?